Monday, November 17, 2008

detraining

It turns out that drastic reductions in training lead to drastic reductions in fitness. I realized this yesterday at NC state 'cross series race number 6. After going really hard on the start, as hard as I should be able to go, I promptly blew up and drifted to the back.

The start, all seven of us:



In my pre-college days I was expending approximately 10,000-13,000 calories worth of energy on training each week. In the past 2 months my average weekly expenditure is around 3,500. Oops. School keeps getting in the way of training.

Pictures of me going slow look like this:




Plab B: train as much as is reasonable to get fast enough not to embarrass myself at cx nats. On Dec. 13-14th I'm headed to Kansas, mostly for the after party, but I'll do the college kid championship race too.

Caitlin had a good race and is pictured here running, ahead of one of our more famous UMass teammates.



Here's a clip of me in third leading the chase towards the end of the first lap. I promptly fell back to 6th for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment