Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Suffering

For quite some time I've been toying with the idea of writing about suffering. This is not it. I don't even know that I could coherently put into words what it is I would like to express about suffering. Instead I'll just say that it is relative and usually a good thing.

Most recently, in the context of my back, I've been suffering a little because the knot which is aggravated by my compression fractures has been acting up. Yea, it hurts, but what hurts a lot more is when I put a lacrosse ball down on the floor and lay down on it. I place the whole weight of my body directly on the aggravated muscle, while the hard rubber ball firmly nestles it's way deep into my muscle tissue. Suddenly when I get up it hurts a lot less.

The moral: When you exist at a certain level of comfort, minor aggravations will cause sufferation. If you increase the level of suffering relative to your baseline, you can elevate it and eventually be comfortable with the first level of minor aggravation. This will alleviate the previous gripe.

Graph? Yes.



Don't even think about thinking about those unfortunate people who I may be offending by talking about suffering. You know, the people with no choice about it, the ones in drought stricken or impoverished parts of the world. They don't count, because they're not from America. Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment