Sunday, September 28, 2008

Thirty Two

As a skeptic of so-called 'sales' at the grocer, I take notes of the prices of the few things I usually buy. Since the grocer is the only place I really buy anything, it's not that big of a hassle to jot down the unit pricing. There are only a dozen or so food items I purchase, so other than the score board I have at home labeled 'greatest hits' for only the lowest unit priced items, I have a decent mental tally of how much things should cost.

At big lots next to the local food lion (king of the grocers) I stopped in for a garden hose and noticed they had salsa in my favorite flavor, medium. I checked the price just for fun. It turned out to be $1/lb. A red flag went up, this was a good price. Just to be sure I popped into the FL where their best unit pricing was more than 60 cents higher per pound.

How much salsa do you buy when you know it's a good deal? Salsa is my main source of vegetables, and favorite topping for eggs, cottage cheese, rice and IQF vegetables. It's supposed to be shelf stable for another year and I go through roughly a pound every week and a half. With some help I was able to walk out of big lots with thirty two pounds of salsa. It should last through the end of the year. I updated the greatest hits score card.

No comments:

Post a Comment